Still wrapping my head around HDRP and it is coming together I think. Since I am not trying to create real world values I can relax a little and not get too bogged down with lighting details. At the same time I am introducing more player and AI abilities and will continue to slot in the gameplay from the old project. I can now take the time to extend and polish the player/AI/gameplay alongside the environment build. After all this time I have learned a lot I can now put into practice and it should go quicker with a more cohesive end result.
Integrated the climbing system, thanks to Hobbycoder for his tutorials.
"Would you happen to have a playable demo?"
Sorry, not at this time, still a lot to do.
"i gotta know how do you get the castle wall brick textures like that"
Hi Scienceboy! Nice to see you around here. The assets used in the screenshots above are from the Lordenfel pack. I haven't really had time so far to create much of my own media. I do have a few things scattered around though so it's all good and I stick to theme. Learning Unity has been time consuming itself.
The materials are pretty good out of the box, but with a little additional texture editing, nice lighting/GI and some Post Processing you can make things pop.
What this needs now is a few puddles here and there.
Updated to Unity 2021.2.0f1 due to slow and buggy editor in 2020 versions.
Been working some more on lighting as I want to ensure the player character is always lit. I really don't want to put a light on the player so using lighting probes/ramping indirect lighting a bit and toning with a few other Post Processes.
Did some optimisation and with 50-60 fps in editor so far using HDRP I think I might actually pull this off as a game rather than a walkthrough
Still got a fair bit of optimising I can do, so I'm optimistic about it.
I haven't done much so far with optimising and mostly down to level design where I am trying to create 'area cells' which never have a too open view of the whole scene. Simple occlusion culling works well so far. I still have to combine mesh and Atlas textures etc. Then will 'imposter' some of the Architecture and GPU Instance any foliage and smaller items such as debris. Final stage will be streaming so if I can grab a few more frames from all that I will be happy.
Strangely when testing a build game it looks like Vsync is enabled when I am pretty sure it shouldn't be, not a huge problem as it works fine in editor going beyond 60fps in parts, I would most likely be enabling Vsync in the end anyhow and if it stays around 58-60fps for a build with full gameplay then all will be good with continuing to develop in HDRP.
I've been updating the older 2018.4.28f1 project to 2020.33.22f1 and so far no problems with older optimising and gameplay being included. So a bunch of work I wont need to re-do. Though I haven't done a lot with the graphics and atmospherics it still looks a lot more impressive in HDRP.
Once I am sure nothing major is being broken with the updates I will start to integrate these projects together.
if you are using 2020.33.22f1 you might as well jump to 2021.3.1f1. I am having zero issues with it. No harm in trying with one of your multiple backups, only negative is time and hard drive space.
Everything seems to be fine for now and so long as everything stays stable I can work with it. All the same I could still run into something that forces me into yet another update, it would depend on whether or not an update would bring any fixes or improvements with the kind of game I am trying to make:)